Be it the post office or the DMV, waiting in painfully long lines is one of life’s certainties. As you stand there, wondering which deity you offended to find yourself in this position, you can’t help but imagine that if someone were to run a search on the phrase “abysmally boring,” your situation would be the first result. Thankfully you brought your smart phone with you, and with a few app downloads, that little treasure can help you save your sanity.
Entertainment Apps: Keeping Boredom at Bay
- Spotify – One music app to rule them all. Not only does Spotify import your preexisting song library, it also allows you to search and instantly listen to any songs in its extensive online database. With the added ability to cache songs for offline use, you don’t even need an internet connection to listen.
- Tiny Tower – Time to channel your inner Donald Trump. Apple’s self-declared 2011 Game of the Year is a tower building simulator that allows you to build your own skyscraper empire from the ground up. Using retro 8-bit graphics, the goal of the app is to collect money from your tenants and reinvest in new tower construction.
- Sound Hound– You can’t be a music lover and not have this app. With Sound Hound, your mobile device listens to whatever song is playing, and identifies the track for you. Sound Hound also reads spoken voice, but if you aren’t feeling quite like American Idol material, you can always just use the app’s built in search tool.
- Sling Player – Is that mobile TV subscription going to break the bank? Nix the subscription and keep the mobile TV. With Sling Player, those with a sling box at home can now bring their shows and recordings with them everywhere they go. The app is available on both Android and iOS devices.
- Gigbox – Are you kicking yourself for missing out on those Black Keys tickets again? Stuck sitting at home while all your friends are at the show that sold out months ago? This app allows you to search for concert information by location, venue or artist. You can even tag artists or concerts you’re interested in, and keep a calendar of all your events in a concert agenda.
Some people think of their smart phones as phones. Don’t be one of those people. If you own a smart phone, you have the potential for a movie theater, a television, an arcade, a concert, and more, all crammed into one device. Try out any of these apps and find out for yourself just how much amusement your “phone” can bring you.
Posted by: admin